On 19/02/11 15:54, Barry Titterton wrote:
I recently created a persistent live USB for the first time. It worked
perfectly but there is one aspect of its behaviour that I do not
understand:

I used a 4Gb stick. After creating the stick in 10.10 using the built-in
disk/USB creator, I added Restricted Extras as well as creating a couple
of files to test that the persistence worked, which it did. However, at
this point I ran Update Manager which downloaded and installed approx
210Mb of updates. Before the update I had 2.7Gb of free space, but after
updating this had shrunk to only 1.5Gb. I thought that I had done
something wrong so I formatted the stick and repeated the whole
installation, but got exactly the same result.

Can any of the members explain it? Is this normal behaviour for a live
USB?
Is there an easy way to get any of this space back, or should I avoid
running Update Manager?

Barry T

When you do updates it will cache the package files that it has downloaded. If you run the command:

sudo apt-get clean

...from a terminal it will clear out the archive packages and hopefully free up some space :-)

You'll probably not notice it so much when you install to a hard drive as generally you'll have much more free space (unless you happen to be running on old kit with a smaller hard drive).

Rob