From: "Simon Greenwood" <sfgreenw...@gmail.com>

That is very similar to my problem: both Flash and Java apps caused exponential
CPU usage. Shutting down everything would cause the machine to settle down but
it wouldn't become stable until a full reboot. I would suggest checking to see
if there's a BIOS update for the machine as I've just done that and it's seemed
to resolve the heating issues that I had that apparently came from the Nvidia
GPU. Also you don't mention the version and architecture of Ubuntu that you're
using which might be useful to know.

I managed to update the bios last night. I've done a couple of tests after that
and so far it looks good. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks to everyone who responded!

Rossen