I posted this on my blog. Am reposting here to reach as many people as possible.

The UK Ubuntu LoCo team has for some years now had a vote to choose a
new leader when the incumbent steps down. Well it’s that time of year
again as Dave Walker stepped down in an announcement to the Ubuntu UK
LoCo mailing list recently.

Since Dave stepped down we’ve been looking for a new Team Lead, but I
don’t think we’ve really promoted it enough, which might be one reason
why we’ve currently got only one candidate for the vote. I’d like to
ask members of the UK LoCo team to consider helping us out by standing
for the post of Team Leader.

The role is not an onerous one, but it does need someone committed,
who is willing to help guide the team over the next year or so. The
person selected will be a point of contact with Canonical and other
internal groups within the project, and with external organisations
too. There isn’t a tremendous workload, but the person should be on
hand to deal with requests in a timely fashion.

Traditionally we’ve allowed the outgoing team leader to choose the
method by which the next leader is chosen. This has been in place
since Nik Butler stepped down as leader back in 2007 and I got voted
in. At the time we used the somewhat inadequate poll system in
launchpad to figure out the winner. Since then the Ubuntu community
has moved towards condorcet voting, which is both fun, reliable and
very geeky :)

Every LoCo is different though, with their own ways of selecting a new
leader, point of contact or council and that’s often determined by
cultural traditions. As a rule the Ubuntu project doesn’t impose
leadership election processes on LoCo teams, so each is free to select
their own process.

So if you’re in the UK, and you’re interested in leading the team then
add yourself to this page on the wiki:-

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UKTeam/2011Election

Cheers,
Al.