On 18/03/11 18:37, Barry Drake wrote:
On Fri, 2011-03-18 at 17:42 +0000, Rob Beard wrote:
You might find it could be an SATA cable.  Chances are you're not going
to find a big IDE drive easily now as everything is going down the route
of SATA.

First thing I did was try a new SATA cable.  I found a 320 GiB IDE drive
at Amazon quite cheaply, so I'm getting that.  I'm very reluctant to
re-flash the BIOS as a) it may not work (the updates give reasons and
none of them are SATA-related).  And b), if it goes wrong, there's no
way out if you can't boot!

The majority of motherboards have BIOS recovery these days, most IIRC use floppies to boot and flash a BIOS and others can use USB sticks.

As long as you're careful (make sure the power doesn't go off, flash the correct BIOS) then it's unlikely anything could go wrong.

You may however find that either a PCI (or PCI Express) SATA controller
or an IDE to SATA convertor may also do the job (it allows you to use an
SATA drive on an IDE connection)...

I hadn't thought about a PCI SATA adaptor.  That might have been an easy
answer.  The SATA/IDE adaptor would have been OK if I had two IDE slots.
SATA adaptors can't do master/slave drives, so I would have lost the DVD
drive.  I guess the new PCI drive will keep us going for the rest of the
computer's life.

Yeah it is kind of annoying that motherboards only have one IDE connector (or in some cases none at all).

Rob