On 15/04/11 12:31, Tim Powys-Lybbe wrote:
On 14 Apr at 21:25, Kate Stewart<kate.stew...@canonical.com>  wrote:

2. If you are upgrading from 10.10:
    1. Open the Update Manager application from the System →
       Administration menu.
    2. In Update Manager, click the Settings... button, and enter your
       password to start the Software Sources application.
    3. Select the sub menu Updates from the Software Sources
       application.
    4. Check the "Release upgrade - Show new distribution releases"
       drop down to make sure "Normal releases" is selected, and change
       it if otherwise.
    5. Close the Software Sources application and return to Update
       Manager.
3. In Update Manager, click the Check button to check for new updates.
4. If there are any updates to install, use the Install Updates button
    to install them, and press Check again after that is complete.
5. A message will appear informing you of the availability of the new
    release.
I have got three all the above instructions except the last, number 5.
No Message appears, not even when I leave the machine on overnight.

I am running Ubuntu 10.10 on a VMWare partition on a Mac Pro.  I have
looked at the VMWare mailing lists to see if anyone else has had this
problem, but no mention.

I think this problem has been around on my machine for a couple of years
as I definitely remember being able to do version upgrades in the past.
More recently I have had to do complete fresh installs, losing
everything on my previous version.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I think those will be the instructions when it is released. Right now it is not released, so won't be offered to you. If you run "update-manager -d" from the command line it should offer you the development release.