On 04/16/2011 06:12 PM, Graham Smith wrote:
I have a weird problem with my eeepc 901 running Ubuntu netbook 10.10 (but the same problem existed with WINXP and puppy linux 5.2) and my wireless connection.

Every evening between 4 and 6 I start to get server reset error messages when I am on line. Eventually, but not always I totally lose the wireless connection (I get a cannot find wireless connection errors). Resetting the router usually, but not always, will recover the connection.

Sometimes even when I am getting "connection timed out errors" I am being told that I still have a wireless connection at 100% with a 54Mb/s connection.

Rebooting the eeepc doesn't help, but even if I have gone an entire evening without managing to salvage a connection, it is always back working fine the next morning.

Now, this seems to point to a router error, but if I sit the eeepc and my MacBook Pro beside each other, the MacBook works flawlessly while the eeepc continues to play up.

Some days I will have had the eeepc on all day, and other days I will switch it on for the first time around 4pm. This doesn't seem to make any7 difference to the timing, the issue still occurs between 4 and 6.

I find the timing odd, but other than that, its seems to point to the wireless card in the eeepc having a fault.

Does anyone have any suggestions, it all seems rather weird to me.

Thanks,

Graham
Hi Graham,

I've had a similar problem with my wireless connection getting slower and slower, losing connection, resetting etc.

The same laptop when running Win 7 didn't have the problem, other laptops in the house didn't have the problem at the same time I was losing connection.

After a bit of playing around, I ended up changing channels on the router and since then, no problems at all.

I checked and found that there were a couple of wifi access points all on similar channels within range, so I just moved to a channel well away from anything.

If you've got an android phone, there's an app called wifi analyser that will check for other networks and what channels they're on.

Hope that helps

Dave