On Wed, 2011-04-27 at 13:27 +0100, Colin Law wrote:
> When this happens is it necessary to reboot fairly urgently or is it
> ok to delay this till a convenient time.  In other words is there a
> significant difference between delaying the update because it will ask
> for a reboot, and delaying the update itself.

In my experience, you don't need to reboot immediately. But if it was a
kernel update (to the same number kernel, not a new one), suspending or
inserting new hardware may be unreliable. If it was an important library
like libc6, starting new applications may be unstable, but the
currently-loaded ones are fine.

My rule is: update immediately, and reboot at the end of the day, before
trying to put the laptop to sleep.

Regards,
Tyler

--
"The belief in immortality has always seemed cowardly to me. When very
young I learned that all things die, and all that we wish of good must