On Tue, 03 May 2011 11:44:37 +0100, Alan Bell wrote:
On 03/05/11 11:26, Jon Reynolds wrote:

Well, This is a bit of a rant I'm afraid... need to vent.

<rant class="frustrated">What gives with wireless? Why is it such an issue for Ubuntu? 'Almost' every time I perform an apt-get upgrade or in this case, a distribution upgrade, my wireless breaks! I'm getting really fed up of it.

Now I don't want to be seen as whinging about something but not helping to fix it, but it has been fixed in the past, as I have been using wifi before on many previous versions on this hardware. But for some reason, my particular wireless h/w, seems to get forgotten about or lost or whatever whenever there is a major upgrade and I have to wait, sometimes several weeks, for one of the upgrades to fix it. Or try various different methods found by googling, which don't all work, which I fear is cluttering up my system.

I don't understand how if it is fixed, why that bit of code or whatever it is doesn't just stay put.

</rant>

Right now, after an upgrade to 11,04, I have no wireless devices detected. Its not that I can't connect, I don't even have any wlan detected.

Its a Realtek.

do lsusb in a terminal and let us know the full line that relates to
your wireless device.
Is this built in to some kind of laptop? Which model? If it is a
certified model or the same wireless device is in a certified model
then put that in the bug report.
So far this is a rant with out much actionable information, lets get
it to a reportable and fixable bug report.

Alan.

 I will perform the actions on my computer tonight. Its a Samsung N130
 Netbook.

 There is someone with a similar problem on the forums:

 But their situation is better than mine, they at least have wireless
 hardware showing up.

 I will run that diagnostic script to get the same results.

 Thanks.
--

Jon Reynolds (j0nr)
http://www.jcrdevelopments.com