On 6 May 2011 09:42, Tony Arnold <tony.arn...@manchester.ac.uk> wrote:
> I'm wondering why Ubuntu decided to side-line Gnome 3 in favour of
> Unity? And does this mean Ubuntu may never support Gnome 3?

These are questions that have been asked numerous times. Here's some
places you can see the answers:-

http://askubuntu.com/questions/9424/why-is-ubuntu-11-04-switching-to-unity/612
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/openweekNatty/Introduction - 15:16 onwards
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/openweekNatty/IntroductionToUnity - 18:05

For most other unanswered questions, see
http://askubuntu.com/questions/tagged/unity?sort=faq&pagesize=50

> How are such decisions made and is it documented anywhere?

Not all decisions in Ubuntu are done in public meetings. There are
hundreds of decisions made each release cycle. Some are prominent like
this one, others are less so. Whether to switch to Unity or not was
discussed recently on the Tech Board mailing list:-

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/technical-board/2011-April/000801.html

> Personally I'd like to make my own choice about the user interface I use.

You still can. There are lots of choices available:-

a) use classic desktop with 11.04
b) use 10.04
c) use 10.10
d) help fix issues you have with unity
e) all of the above
f) use xubuntu
g) use kubuntu
h) use lubuntu
i) use gnome shell from a ppa
j) wait for 11.10 and use gnome shell from the repo
k) use another distro

Choice is not something we're lacking here!

Al.