Hi Alan,

for such low spec machines it *may* be worth trying the Lubuntu suite on
them. Lubuntu gets full adoption at 11.10 by Canonical, the 11.04 is happily
running now. For really old kit (pre i686) lubuntu are going to continue to
backport to the 10.04 stable beta the lxde and pcmanfm etc. for a while yet.
(I think we were discussing 5 years).

Regards,

Phill.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/phillw