It was actually because I approved of the sheer common sense of giving people with no previous exposure to computers Linux instead of Windows that I signed up to be Race Online 2012 partner in the first place. That is why the sudden realisation that Microsoft was involved after all came as such a nasty shock.

May I suggest that we make use of the Race Online infrastructure by offering our services as help teaching people how to get started with their 'on a shoestring' Linux systems, ether the official Remploy ones or Car boot sale/donations from friends cobbled together affairs.

I was under the impression that the OS for these low cost PCs would be Linux based but customised in some exotic way to make it super easy for beginners (lots of locally cached content of the sort that beginners would want to know for example). However now we find its just good ole Ubuntu 10.10 it levels the playing field to let everyone stick Linux on some old computers under the name of Race Online.

Everyone who wants to help sign up as a digital champion or a partner organisation.
http://www.raceonline2012.org <http://www.raceonline2012.org/>

Hopefully the way it works is that other partner organisations in your locality (a council of charity for example) will have the resources like somewhere to meet, but not the Linux expertise. Together we can help people to get to grips properly with the Internet, not just having it as a channel to sell them stuff.

Can I please ask you to copy me in if you are signing up to help getting new beginners onto Linux. If we get a big response this could be newsworthy in its own right - which in turn leads to less 'fear of the unknown' resistance as we go forward.

I am going to be at http://www.ukuug.org/events/opentech2011/ on this Saturday if anyone wants to say hi.

Would Canonical not be interested in taking a higher profile in this?
--
*Deluxe Technology Ltd*
/Linux Consultant/