On Fri, 2011-05-20 at 08:18 +0100, Alan Lord (News) wrote:
> On 20/05/11 00:01, Daniel Case wrote:
> > know, apparently I was wasting time..) so the question is how can I
> > educate these people, especially if they are willing to cancel a
> > project over it? (I make my income from this stuff!)
>
> LibreOffice or OpenOffice.org will open most MS docs without
> complaint
> or issue.

I'm really not sure what the issue is here?

Al

----------------

I run my own business and can open the majority of documents I get sent
using open/libre office, I send most of my business documents as .pdf,
knowing that everyone will be able to view and print them.
I rarely mention the fact that i run my business on open source - I am
not in the IT world and the majority of people i deal with would not
understand / are not interested in document formats - the only time it
ever comes up is when clients tell me about problems they are having
with their windows systems - at which point I tell them I run Ubuntu and
how stable it is!
If you want to 'educate people' without causing problems with your
business add a very short message to your signature saying that you
prefer to use .odf with a link to site that gives a good explanation of
what this is - and send relevant docs in both the closed M$ and in .odf
formats when appropriate - give them a choice but don't make it hard for
them to deal with you

Sarah