On 24 May 2011 13:57, Andrés Muñiz Piniella <andre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm about to ask questions about software that runs on ubuntu please
> tell me if this is out of line (or simply ignore) and I'll go
> subscribe myself to the appropriate list.

You're more than welcome to ask these kinds of questions here.

> I was using gnumeric up to now but it  libreCalc looked very
> attractive and i decided to switch. But now I'm a bit lost on the
> commands:
>
> For example:
> With gnumeric I could select an area of cells (e.g. 256x256) type a
> value (e.g. 0) and do ctrl+enter and I could populate the area with
> that value. With libreCalc it didn't work but shift+ctrl+enter changed
> it to an array ({=0}) (don't know what this is meant to be) and I
> cannot change selected values back so it's not good (and it's
> difficult to get rid of). I have found out that to do the same thing I
> need to type ctrl+alt+enter after entering a value.
>
> (hope this tip helped someone I couldn't find it in the libre office help
> menus)
>
> Now my question:
> When selecting an area gnumeric would tell me what row and column I'm
> at with numbers. I've been looking for a while now and I have no way
> of knowing where column 256 is. I managed to figure out it was IV (or
> I think it is). But what if I want to select 512 columns?

512 is SR, you can calculate this two ways, the easy way is to just
put a run of numbers in the top row (put 1 in A1 then click the little
box in the corner of the cell and drag it along until you reach the
number you want) and just look up at the top of the column.
The fun way is to take your column number X and then do
First letters index (a=1,b=2...z=26) = the integer part of x/26
second letter index = the fractional part of x/26 * 26
so for 512...
512/26 = 19.6923076923 so first letter is letter 19, which is S
Second letter = 26*0.6923076923 = 18 Which is R

Personally... the first method is quicker when doing a lookup by hand
and I'm sure there's a better way of doing the second method.

-Matt Daubney