Firstly, the vast majority of teachers don't have the skills of
knowledge to be able to teach anything other than office skills - and
even then most can't even do that properly!
You can say that again! The school I work at has 50+ teachers. Half of then can barely 'drive' MS Office...
Secondly, the majority of children don't care about how a computer
works (any more than they care how a car works) - they just want to
use it.
Yes, this is very true. Even my own kids aren't bothered despite the prodding from me.
The kids at my school that I've discussed this with can't get there heads around the fact that they could write their own version of Angry Birds if they wanted to...
Granted, there are always some who do
I hope so, I really do. I got 'into' computers with the ZX81, at around the age of 12. I built it from a kit (with the help of my dad - hey I was 12!) and programmed the living daylights out of it and it's dozen successors, as well as spending a lot of time gaming. Granted there are no build-it-yourself machines available today (though the Arduino and others are pretty close and a damn sight more powerful than the ZX81). But I don't know any kids that program... out of dozens of the friends/relations kids...

Lee