Martin, I like you enthusiasm.

I am planning to distribute a usb based Ubuntu distro to Leeds Met
University with an Oracle XE installation on as the admin there don't trust
the students to have full admin rights themselves.

I shall mention your speed thoughts and report back, it is obviously not as
cost effective as a standard usb  though I'm sure you'll agree?

Perhaps one for the future on mass scale. Live cd's still rule the waves I'm
afraid.

Dave