Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 23:28:09 +0100
From: andres <andre...@gmail.com>
To: "ubuntu-uk@lists.ubuntu.com" <ubuntu-uk@lists.ubuntu.com>
Subject: [ubuntu-uk]

Hello,

This is a question mainly for developers. I think. It's really a
curiosity of mine and I have little say in the result of the project.

Someone I know is thinking of releasing his software. It's a program
that at it's core is written in Fortran but has the gui written in
win32. it has other open source programs attached to it as well. All
bundled up in a nice .exe installer.

He has gone through a lot of trouble of learning win32 and actually
programming the whole GUI. But this at the end means that linux users
have to run the program through wine. Would you consider this a complete
disadvantage and a deal breaker if you would want to create a community
around it and it's worth thinking about "translating" the GUI to
something like python? Or other more cross-platform compatible
languages? (I don't know if it runs in Mac for instance).

Or would this be a bit of reinventing the wheel?

It seems to make little difference for an end user as  I've seen wine
programs in the software centre. Or would it be incredibly more
efficient if it's a "native" linux program?

Or would it be more of a question of knowing who your users are going to
be at the end of the day?

--
Andr?s envi? esto desde su netbook con UBUNTU: sistema operativo
gratuito, abierto y casi libre. ?Pruebalo! http://www.ubuntu-es.org/