On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 2:18 PM, Dave Hanson <d...@hansonforensics.co.uk>wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 2:13 PM, Dave Morley <davm...@davmor2.co.uk>wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2011-06-21 at 13:59 +0100, Dave Hanson wrote:
>> > Hello Everyone,
>> >

>> > It's me again!
>> >

>> > I have just installed webmin on 11.04 server, but I'm having trouble
>> > logging in. I'm guessing I need to set a password for root [sudo
>> > passwd root] as that's the only solution I can find on the web - Are
>> > there any security implications to doing that, I would have thought
>> > so?
>> >

>> > I only want to try it out really as I'm sure most things can be done
>> > with a terminal, but if I like it I may keep it, that's why i'm
>> > concerned.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Best Regards,
>> >

>> > Dave Hanson
>> >

>> If you install the ubuntu webmin package from their site I think it
>> abides by sudo it's just if you use the debian one that I think it
>> causes issues I could be wrong though.
>> --
>> Seek That Thy Might Know
>>
>> http://www.davmor2.co.uk
>>
>> --
>>
>> ubuntu-uk@lists.ubuntu.com
>>

> Yes, I have the Debian one & there isn't a webmin user group.
>
> I'll re-install and let you know if it runs okay with the version from
> their site, I didn't even check their site - I just assumed that it wasn't
> fully supported from what I read on the ubuntu docs pages.
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Best Regards,
>
> Dave Hanson
>
>  I've cracked it...

The installation source makes no difference as far as I can tell. And the
docs I read stating that the root password needs to be enabled are
misleading, What you actually need to do is set up a password for a user
attached to webmin itself (see below). It does nothing to the system's root
account.

# cd /usr/share/webmin
# sudo ./changepass.pl /etc/webmin/ <user> <password>

Simple really isn't it.

Thanks Everyone,

Dave Hanson