On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 09:21:18 +0100, Alan Lord (News) wrote:
On 21/07/11 17:31, Rob Beard wrote:

Yep it can be done, I personally use PS3 Media Server which will
transcode video using mplayer if needed to a format that the XBOX360
will play. However I wouldn't recommend it for HD content unless you're streaming stuff which is already in WMV format otherwise it'll really hammer your CPU and probably not work too well. IIRC it will play XVID and DIVX video with MP3 audio, but can trip up with other audio formats.

I don't have an xbox but have used a variety of media serving apps of
which a couple worked well (most are not FOSS unfortunately).

Mediatomb (in the Ubuntu repos works pretty well and does on-the-fly
transcoding) http://mediatomb.cc/ but I have no idea if works with the
xbox.

PS3 Media Server also does transcoding and works well.
http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/

Serviio is the one I found worked best for me (dlna to a Samsung TV)
but again it is non-free software. http://www.serviio.org/

There are others too...

Have fun.

Al

--
The Open Learning Centre
http://www.theopenlearningcentre.com

The XBox is a fussy little ****** when it comes to what videos it will play. I gave up in the end as I never found a simple enough method to reliably transcode into something the Xbox would play. It seemed very hit and miss. But its so fussy.

Your Xbox 360 supports a variety of video formats, with playback quality dependent on the type of video you are attempting to play. Read through these specifications and tips to understand the capabilities of streaming media from your PC to your Xbox 360

Supported File Types
The Xbox 360 supports AVI, WMV, MPEG-4 Part 2, H.264 and QuickTime movie formats. The file extensions included are as follows: .avi, .divx, .wmv, .mp4, .m4v, .mp4v, and .mov.

Video Playback
For video files with the WMV container, playback occurs at 15 Mbps (Mega-Bytes Per Second) with a resolution of 1920 x 1080. Files with the H.264 container have the same resolution, but are played back at 10 Mbps. For AVI and MPEG-4 Part 2 video files, playback is 5 Mbps at 1280 x 720 resolution.

Audio Playback
The Xbox 360 supports WMA 7-9 and Lossless audio profiles for WMV video formats. Dolby Digital and MP3 profiles are supported in AVI formats. For MPEG-4 Part 2 and H.264 encoded videos, the console supports only two-channel AAC audio encoding.

Streaming Video
With Zune software, the Xbox 360 can stream unprotected AVI, MPEG-4 Part 2, H.264, and WMV video formats. Through Windows Media Player, protected and unprotected WMV videos can be streamed.

Streaming Tips
Download a third-party video codec package to expand the amount of video formats you can stream using the Windows Media Player. For better playback, convert video files into the more Mircosoft user-friendly WMV format using a third-party video conversion program.

Source(s):
Video Playback & Audio Streaming FAQ for the Xbox 360
--

Jon Reynolds (j0nr)
http://www.jcrdevelopments.com