Hi everyone,

We are now only a couple of weeks away from the launch of HLUG's Open
Source Schools Project  and it has been very interesting helping to set
the whole thing up. The project is launching at our Software Freedom Day
Event in Hereford and we have a lecturer from one of the local colleges
speaking on open source in education and the importance of ensuring that
students understand the fundamentals of computing - if you are anywhere
near on the 17th Sept do come and support the event - details can be
found at
http://www.herefordshire.lug.org.uk/node/89

We are working on the project which is running during the autumn term
with support from Hereford Councils education department and have had
meetings with the engineers responsible for the networks at the schools
we will be visiting to ensure that they are happy with our plans - we
have been very pleased at the amount of interest and support there has
been so far and our first in-school visit is on sept 19 following SFD.

Ubuntu is the main OS that we will be demonstrating at our SFD event and
also the one most likely to be suggested to schools we visit alongside
our Tuxedu OS which has been designed (initially using lubuntu as a
base) specifically for the project.
We are not intending to convert schools wholesale to using open source
but to start movement in that direction, helping them to increase their
use and confidence in Open Source Programs and give them an experience
of using a linux based OS. By giving teachers the information and the
tools in an easily usable form which will not dramatically increase
their workload we hope to encourage teachers, students and hopefully
parents use of open source software.

It's an ongoing project and I hope some of the people on this list will
be encouraged to take it into schools in their area - as materials are
finalised we will be sharing them online.

cheers
Sarah