n Wed, 2011-09-21 at 12:39 +0100, James Tait wrote:

> Gcompris [0] may provide some of that. I have a vague recollection of
> my
> eldest son playing a game where he had to put the correct word in the
> sentence, but glancing over the website I don't recognise it.

Hi James
we have gcompris on there but its more single letter and single words
which is good but they are looking for sentence construction activities

one of the other problems is that some of the word games we have
included such as khangman and kanagram which the kids really like as
well as gcompris are very americanised
 ie 'Pants = trousers' or my favourite kanagram which had me and 6 year
old tester stumped 'winter headgear = tobogan' (that was news to me)
another example is in gcompris where in amongst words such as jump, dry
and green they use Colorado not a word most under 10's in the UK are
familiar with.
UK teachers tend to frown on this - they want UK relevancy and the
ability to fit it to the UK curriculum - it may be a narrow view but
they will not take it up unless it works for them.
Also some of the english explanations in games from non-english speaking
countries have odd grammar or use unusual word order - we really need to
adapt them for UK use as it's a hurdle for teachers.

Sarah