I was wondering if anyone knew of a decent digital voice recorder that is compatible with Ubuntu.

I am heading off on fieldwork where i will need to record interviews for subsequent transcribing. The recorder need not be too sophisticated and ideally fairly cheap. It just needs do the basics of recording, have a decent battery life and memory (i will be working in rural Ethiopia so away from power points for extended periods) and be small enough to make it easy to carry around (long walks across farmers fields in the mountains) and not intrusive in interviews.

From what i can tell most people suggest the Olympus or Sony models but both of these appear to have compatibility issues with Ubuntu.

If anyone has any ideas, they'd be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

James.