On 30/09/11 22:39, Laura Czajkowski wrote:
> On 30/09/11 22:12, thegeeksquad...@ymail.com wrote:
>> No offence to anyone here with my views, but I simply do not agree with men
>> and women's groups, because a) generally women's groups are fine and men's
>> aren't (considered sexist) and b) I'm pretty sure it can divide a community.
>> ------------------
>>

> Right, you seem to be missing the point of the event, it's to celebrate
> the day of Ada Lovelace http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ada_Lovelace no
> where on the site does it exclude anyone.
>
> It's a chance to celebrate women in computing, a chance to encourage
> more women to take part, get to gether and netwwork.  There is nothing
> to stop anyone else coming along.
>
> Laura

Having worked in adult education for many (many...) years I actually do
believe there are occasions when single sex groups are advantageous.

Be that as it may, I'd thoroughly support a gathering of women who are
keen on computing, especially re' FOSS.

--
Beatrix E. Groves
BA Hons (Educ) LCGI MAPTT MIFL QTLS

Random Quote of the Day (chosen by my computer) ------------->

Life will break you. Nobody can protect you from that, and living alone
won’t either, for solitude will also break you with its yearning. You
have to love. You have to feel. It is the reason you are here on earth.
You are here to risk your heart. You are here to be swallowed up. And
when it happens that you are broken, or betrayed, or left, or hurt, or
death brushes near, let yourself sit by an apple tree and listen to the
apples falling all around you in heaps, wasting their sweetness. Tell
yourself you tasted as many as you could.
—Louise Erdrich