I would also think it unlikely to be UEFI that is causing the problem.

I came across an occurrence some years ago, where I could not get an Ubuntu
CD to boot up despite setting the BIOS. There turned out to be some weird
configuration of key presses necessary when booting up at the BIOS stage.

More recently I was trying to put Ubuntu on a modern Toshiba netbook. It
didn't matter what I did, it just would not boot up from an image on a
flash drive. I was on the verge of giving up but decided to try with a CD
in a USB connected drive. That worked.

Andy.

On 30 October 2011 16:22, Michael Holmes <holmesm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 30 October 2011 15:19, alan c <aecl...@candt.waitrose.com> wrote:
>
> > ....... “My friend recently got an HP s5-1110 with Win 7 installed.
> > UEFI has prevented the installation of GRUB on this machine.
>
> This is going to happen even if you don't have Secure Boot. UEFI and
> BIOS *do not* have compatible boot systems. You need a UEFI compatible
> bootloader like eLILO or a UEFI compatible version of GRUB - which as
> far as I know, doesn't ship with Ubuntu by default. Since there have
> been workarounds on most systems as of date that allow UEFI systems to
> run BIOS bootloaders, such as Boot Camp on Intel Macs or a "BIOS Mode"
> on most PC motherboards, it's generally not been necessary to include
> a UEFI bootloader with Ubuntu.
>
> This wiki page might help: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFIBooting
>
> But what you need to know is that this probably isn't the Secure Boot
> lockout everyone has been worrying about. As far as I know the Windows
> 7 bootloader isn't signed for Secure Boot (but I could be wrong).
>
> --
> ubuntu-uk@lists.ubuntu.com

Regards,
Andy