On 14/11/2011 19:27, Avi Greenbury wrote:
John Levin wrote:

I'm writing a bit of documentation, and am having trouble with uname.
What does uname -a produce for a 32 bit operating system running on a
64 bit cpu?

uname reports information about the kernel, not the hardware. So for a
32-bit kernel it will report 32-bit information (with strings like i386
and i686), and on a 64-bit kernel it will contain 64-bit sorts of
strings (x86_64, amd64 etc.)

Precisely what it says depends upon what the person who built the
kernel told it to, though.

Thanks to everyone who replied. Does seem that uname reports the kernel, and not the hardware, which is what is suggested by the man page and http://ss64.com/bash/uname.html

My bit of documentation, on installing the beta of Zotero, is now published:
http://anterotesis.com/wordpress/2011/11/installing-zotero-standalone-on-ubuntu-11-10/
Comments, clarifications etc welcome.
And also, I hope it is useful for installing other non-deb executables.

John

--
John Levin
http://www.anterotesis.com