On 22 November 2011 13:04, John Davis <davi...@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> Medion NAS server
>

> This item is for sale at my local Aldi in Germany. I have no experience
> with servers  but am interested in hosting my own web page and having
> storage for my own video output.
>
> I have installed Ubuntu server system before but could not understand,
> even after reading the help files how to do it configurer it
>
> Could anyone in the group offer any advice on this server and whether it
> would be suitable ?

It is a Medion Life P89626  with a 1.5 GB hard drive dual core ARM processor
> 2 x USB
> 1 X Lan rj-45 ethernet 10/100 & gigabit
> TCP/IP protocol
> UPNP DNLA server with Twonk Media
>
> i Tunes-/FTP-/Samba-server
>
> integrated download manager.
>
> Price 99-99 euros. about £84
>

> Seems like a reasonable deal.
>
> I assume that I access my videos etc through the router and browser ?
>
> Any help gratefully received

Generally these machines run a stripped down Linux installation with a web
front end for configuration. In this case you can access the storage using
FTP or mounting the drive over Samba. Music can be streamed through iTunes
and video through UPnP, for which there are clients in Ubuntu but also on
the Wii, Playstation or other games devices.

It should just be a case of plugging it in, switching it on and letting it
get an IP address from your router. There are other things that can be done
with them such as adding a shell and other apps using fun_plug (search for
that in association with the model name and number) but that's entirely
optional. They work with DejaDup/Backup/duplicity over FTP.

s/
--
Twitter: @sfgreenwood
"post-apocalyptic allen keys"