I think they needed to move on and change style, we couldn't sit with a
1995 styled OS forever.
What should be done is to do away with the six month development cycle,
which is far too short for the amount of work needed on Unity. An 8-12
month cycle would have been far better and allowed time for more bug
fixes.

For me Ubuntu 11.10 is blisteringly fast and is so easy to use on my
desktop computer. I regularly have quite a few apps open at a time and
the icon layout on the Launcher bar things so much easier to find.

Mint 12 worked fine in Virtualbox, however lagged really badly as a full
system install. I've never been a fan of Mint, but hey at least I can
say I've tried it.

Ivan