On 09/12/2011 16:33, Alan Bell wrote:
I think you have been and gone a couple of times before your problem was solved, I don't know if you are on a dialup connection, but generally if you stick around for a few hours you will give people more of a chance to see your problem and respond to it. First time you were on we discovered that you didn't have the users and groups tool installed, after you left I commented that perhaps you don't have the ubuntu-desktop package installed, which would have pulled this and other items in. So the situation is that you installed ubuntu with one account, then created a second account which was not initially an administrator account, but now is I think in the right groups. When you perform an action that requires sudo access your machine prompts you for the username and password of the primary user. This is quite similar to my kid's computers where they don't have admin accounts, if they go to install something from software centre (why are you using synaptic rather than software centre? Is it a synaptic specific issue or does for example the unlock button on the users and groups tool prompt for the primary user password too?) then I have to put in my password for them because they are not in the sudoers file (or in the admin group which is). I think the first time you came on IRC we got you set up with the right groups from the command line and got you to install the users and groups app. I would suggest sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop to make sure there is nothing else missing that is critical. Can you in fact run things with sudo under your new username?

Alan.
Hi Alan,

That is exactly it, I can log in and use the terminal sudo whatever it asks for the new username and password, but it is a synaptic specific problem, not everything can be installed via software centre, at least I havent been able to use software centre for everything, and your right again, both users in Users ad Groups ask for the old username and password, I just noticed that now.

John