On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 06:50:03PM +0000, Tony Pursell wrote:

> I do actually get a flashing icon in the panel on my Desktop PC when I have
> messages.  It is the empathy icon (a sort of green square voice bubble)
> that alternates with a sort of alert symbol.  To me it is a bit irritating
> as I always get it when I start Empathy because I get messages from the
> freenode NikServ to tell me that I am identified for my TonyP nickname.  I
> have to click the icon, which brings up the chat window, to stop it
> flashing.  Less irritating is when my brother messages me.
>
> Strangely, I don't get any of this on my EEEPC Netbook, but the mail icon
> does turn blue.  Wish I knew why.  They both run 11.10 with same Empathy
> version.

Normally "meassaging" intergration and other notification support is
provided by extensions/plugins which need to be installed and enabled to
take effect.  I will guess that one of these was an upgrade from an older
release and kept the older notification enabled, whereas the newer install
got the defaults at the time.  One of those features of our upgrade path
I personally find confusing for sure, I would like to see a popup to
tell you you might want the new stuff or something on upgrade.

-apw