On 09/01/12 13:47, Michael Daniels wrote:

Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 13:22:51 +0000
From: sfgreenw...@gmail.com
To: ubuntu-uk@lists.ubuntu.com
Subject: Re: [ubuntu-uk] Broken Dependencies 10.04

On 9 January 2012 13:10, Michael Daniels <michae...@hotmail.co.uk <mailto:michae...@hotmail.co.uk>> wrote:

    I have the "no entry" symbol, following an attempted upgrade of
    DVD CSS decoder, screentop right.
    Broken dependencies appears to be the problem, some folders are
    devoid of content, or will not display.
    Is there an alternative to a reload of 10.04, please, update does
    not work now.
    Was attempting to load Medibuntu when it all went wrong.
    Have updated my current problem with bug report 912320, still pending.
    Any suggestions please ?
    Thanks,  Michael

From a terminal run the following:

sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude upgrade
sudo aptitude -f

which should bring your system up to date and clear any broken dependencies or give some useful output that you can then paste here.

s/
--
Twitter: @sfgreenwood
"post-apocalyptic allen keys"

I get for -f    E:Type '<!DOCTYPE' is not known in line 1 in source list
/etc/apt/sources list.d/medibuntu list

Hope I have typed it right, medibuntu appears to be the cause of the problem, thanks, Michael

You can do one of two things here - either edit the file manually - lines in there should have either deb, deb-src or # at the beginning - nothing else. It's likely that the whole thing is wrong.

The other option is to remove that file and redo the procedure to add medibuntu - either run nautilus as root - gksudo nautilus /etc/apt/sources.list.d

and remove the file from there or do it from the command line - sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list

Then re acquire the medibuntu repos using the command here - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu