Gordon,

Many thanks for this, it certainly gives me a good starting point.

Graham

On Friday, 27 January 2012, Gordon Houston <gordon.hous...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Graham
>
> Hope I can answer a couple of your questions, or at least give you a few
ideas.

> On the portable router front I use a d-link DAP-1350 it's very easy to
set up under ubuntu (or anything else for that matter) and has numerous
options for sharing access, securing networks etc - cost around £50.

> http://www.dlink.com/DAP-1350
>
> If you want to reduce costs further, you can actually just share the
wireless that's built  into your laptop. I apologise my current location
means I am using a desperately slow connection so can't dig out the exact
document, but this should give you somewhere to start.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/ShareEthernetConnectionThroughWireless

> As for a cheap "NAS" solution - if it is to be used in the setup you
describe below you could just share either a folder on the server across
the network, or if you needed more storage you can do the same with a USB
drive using the same method, so at most that would cost the price of a new
drive,

> https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/internet/C/networking-shares.html
>
> Goes through a few options for you. There is samba as which is useful if
the other people in the room are running window.

> Anyway – hope that will gets you started.
>

> On 26 January 2012 20:26, Graham Smith <myotis...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm not actually sure what I should be asking here, but I would like to
be able to set up a laptop as a server running questionnaires (created with
StatPac) that need a cgi-bin folder to run a perl script.

>> I would then like to allow people to access the questionnaire from their
laptops via a wireless connection to the laptop/server. Everyone would be
in the same room.

>> I see there are things called portable wireless routers, is this as
simple as installing a Ubuntu server version on the laptop, and plugging in
the router. Then letting the users find the wireless connection.

>> Can anyone advise on what sort of problems I might have, and suggest a
low cost wireless router that might suit. I also see their are wireless
NASs and wondered if that might provide an alternative approach.

>> I will obviously need to read up a bit (a lot) about setting up a
network, but I would appreciate any comments that will highlight any key
issues I would need to consider.