If it is only Firefox and Thunderbird affected, check the settings of those
applications for stray proxy settings etc. Whilst I don't see how such peculiar
settings could have come into force, they could have done, and my advice is to
check the network settings in Firefox/Thunderbird preferences.

Regards,
John Oliver