On 22/02/12 18:16, Joe wrote:
I recently moved to Linix Mint on my netbook, reluctantly though because I
wanted to stay *buntu, but after trying Xubuntu and Kubuntu I didn't really
find that any were quite perfect.

After moving to Mint, I have to say I'm pleased with it. It has all the ease
and efficiency that Ubuntu used to have on a netbook, but uses a nicer
interface than Unity.

That said, I can't bring myself to switch my main desktop PC away from Ubuntu…
Sent via BlackBerry® from Orange

-----Original Message-----
From: David Smith<d...@p3computers.com>
Sender: ubuntu-uk-boun...@lists.ubuntu.com
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 16:51:35
To: 'ubuntu-uk@lists.ubuntu.com'<ubuntu-uk@lists.ubuntu.com>
Subject: [ubuntu-uk] Heres an idea (Was "Unity is not working")

Hi,

FWIW I have tried Unity and Xfce, KDE, GNOME 3, and have found all wanting in some regards, but to say Unity is being forced upon us is very wide of the mark. We all have a choice we can stay with Lucid (GNOME 2) until support expires (2015 I think but not sure) or we can install Xbuntu, Kubuntu without being 'unfaithful' to the Ubuntu project, or we can go over to Mint or Arios both of which are derivatives of Ubuntu (I'm sure there are others).

Those of us slightly more experimental can install such window managers / docks as AWN, Cario Doc, Docky, and others and completely change the look and feel of the graphical interface.

Choice is everywhere!

I have not tried precise as I have been unable to successfully install it on either my desktop or laptop, but I am sure the Unity graphical interface will have progressed from 11-10 in much the same way as our beloved Gnome 2 developed from my 'joining' Ubuntu (8-10) to 10-04 lucid!

My point I suppose is if you don't like it don't use it or change it moaning achieves nothing.

Regards,

Pete

sent from Ubuntu 10-04 LTS (Lucid Lynx).