>Linux Mint is higher in the rankings than Ubuntu.

Mint 12 is newer than Ubuntu 11.10 so people are interested to see what's on
offer.  I suspect when 12.04 comes out that will regain top place for the same
reason

>Why is it that Unity requires the user to be an expert.

When I first used Gnome 2 (6.06 Dapper Drake) having previously used KDE
(Mepis) there were a few things that weren't that intuitive. However over time
you get to know the system & all seems good. There are things about Unity that
annoy me (which I shall keep secret for the time being!) however I can say the
same about LXDE XFCE & KDE.

At the moment it's usable & hopefully will be even better in 12.04 so let's not
get too upset!

George