On 03/03/12 12:20, mac wrote:
> On 3 Mar 2012, at 11:30, Bruno Girin <brunogi...@gmail.com
> <mailto:brunogi...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>> ...Both Unity and Metro are bold changes to the way you use your
>> computer and raise the risk of severe backlash from users who were
>> used to something different.
>
> Nothing against it as an *option* in a routine 10.04 to 12.04 upgrade.

I've discussed that with a friend before. The problem of an option
during the install or upgrade is that a number of users would not know
which option to choose. That's a basic rule of usability: don't give
users a choice that they are enable to make. On the other hand, Ubuntu
(as opposed to Windows) gives you the ability to change later: you have
the GNOME 3 and GNOME Shell packages in the repo so you can install them
should you want to.

> But blaming users for having an established workflow simply doesn't
> wash. To quote Andrew, "inserting [it] into our everyday workflows
> causes many more context switches (modal switches, in the jargon) than
> we need. If you're not on a touch device, there's lots of pain for
> very little gain... Microsoft [and Ubuntu] should remember computers
> are the things getting between us and what we want to do, and making
> Metro [Unity] - something so inappropriate for non-touch users
> - /mandatory/ is completely unnecessary."

Apologies if what I said sounded as if I was blaming users for having an
established workflow, this was not the intention.  What I meant to say
was that you very often find that this argument is used for staying on
Windows rather than trying Mac, Ubuntu or anything else. My point was
that over the past few years, Microsoft have pushed enough dramatic
workflow changes onto their users (ribbon, Metro being 2) that using
familiarity as a reason not to try something different doesn't sound valid.

I agree with Andrew's opinion but I disagree that Unity is inappropriate
for non-touch users. I use it exclusively on laptops and I find it a lot
nicer to user than GNOME 2. Of course, your experience is probably
different from mine.

> Of course, if I'll get an option during my routine upgrade 10.04 to
> 12.04 to install a standard desktop-computing UI, I'll be entirely
> happy, as I don't particularly want the faff of a new install of
> Xubuntu or Debian.
>
> However, I'm assuming that the routine upgrade will just install
> Unity.  But if I've misunderstood, and I'll be able to choose a
> different UI, I withdraw my objections.

The routine upgrade will be to install Unity.

Cheers,

Bruno