On 08/03/12 17:13, Pete Smout wrote:
On 07/03/12 17:03, Pete Smout wrote:
On 07/03/12 16:43, Pete Smout wrote:
On 07/03/12 11:46, Neil Greenwood wrote:
On Mar 7, 2012 10:50 AM, "Grant Phillips-Sewell"
<dcg...@cornwall-it.co.uk
<mailto:dcg...@cornwall-it.co.uk>>
wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > Once that's installed, remove the xorg.conf file and restart X.
> > >
> > > You can restart X by going to a terminal (NOT a terminal
window...
> > > press CTRL+ALT+F2 and log in) and then run:
> > > sudo service lightdm restart
> > >
> > > (Or just reboot... up to you.)
> > >
> > > Grant.
> > >
> > Hi Grant,
> >
> > Thanks for your reply, the lspci command produces (relevant lines
> > only I hope)
> >
> > 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile
> > GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
> > 00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960
> > Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
> >
> > Synaptic shows xserver-xorg-video-intel is installed (reinstalled
for
> > good measure) moved the xorg.conf file to my documents folder and
> > rebooted, opened t-bird to reply to you and the machine 'greyed
out'
> > for approx 20 secs with gkrellm showing xorg as using 100% CPU!
> > Please note that last time it happened was with clementine running,
> > when playback stopped mid song so I cannot blame t-bird!
> >
> > As an aside but possibly related?! when I open a tty shell
> > (ctrl-alt-f1) log in it tells me 'Your CPU appears to be lacking
> > expected security protections. Please check your BIOS settings, for
> > more information please run /usr/bin/check-bios-nx --verbose which
> > produces
> >
> > smouty@smouty-laptop:~$ /usr/bin/check-bios-nx --verbose
> > This CPU is family 6, model 15, and has NX capabilities but is
unable
> > to use these protective features because the BIOS is configured to
> > disable the capability. Please enable this in your BIOS. For more
> > details, see: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/CPUFeatures
> >
> > I am unable to find any related settings in BIOS, if this is
> > unrelated to my original question please ignore it and I will do
> > further research
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Pete
>
> Hi Pete,
>
> That is interesting, about your CPU security extensions, but I do not
> believe it is related to this.
>
> Your original post showed that your xorg.conf file was using
"fbdev" as
> the graphics driver - this *should* work on most machines and so
it is
> useful as a "fall back" if all else fails. The fbdev driver means
that
> the CPU is doing all the graphics donkey-work rather than the GPU.
>
> Essentially all I suggested was that you ensure you have the correct
> xorg driver available (which you do) and you (re)move the xorg.conf
> file so that xorg regenerates it (or creates on on-the-fly) when you
> reboot... which you've done.
>
> It is still entirely possible that xorg is still using fbdev, so you
> may want to re-instate your xorg.conf file but edit the "fbdev" entry

Thanks trying that, so far so good no issues to report!

> Essentially, as I understand it, if there is an xorg.conf file
present
> then XOrg will use it; if there is no xorg.conf file then XOrg will
try
> to detect what's going on and make up a configuration on-the-fly.
>
> Since the on-the-fly thing doesn't seem to be working for you, let's
> try *making* it use the Intel driver by having an xorg.conf file that
> specifies to use the Intel driver and nothing else.
>
> I hope that makes sense.
>
> Grant.

As well as the xorg.conf file, there is also the
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/ directory that should be checked to see if
it has an override for the auto generated file.

Neil.

P.S. Sorry for the brevity, this is typed on my phone.

I am unable to locate /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d directory see terminal
output:

smouty@smouty-laptop:~$ cd /usr/share/X11
smouty@smouty-laptop:/usr/share/X11$ ls
locale rgb.txt XErrorDB xkb XKeysymDB xman.help
smouty@smouty-laptop:/usr/share/X11$

Although this has found (for me at least) XErrorDB which shows lots of
errors far too numerous to list here (will put in pastebin if needed),
but the file name to me suggests that it is the Data Base of all
possible errors as there is no time / date next to the output.

Regards

Pete

Hi,

Spoke too soon, just happened again this time firefox, oh well keep
looking I spose.

Regards

Pete

Hi,

I have had no luck with this issue, I am now certainly running the intel
driver as far as I can tell. None of the x logs viewed in 'Log File
Viewer' tell me anything I can understand or see as an obvious error,
and I am now at a loss of where to look next!

Any ideas anyone?

Regards

Pete

Hi,

Right I think I might be onto something! Having left top running on tty1 whilst going about other things, I have noticed that Firefox starts the xorg problem so on a friends advice I have regressed Firefox to a previous version by:
 mv ~/.mozilla/firefox ~/.mozilla/firefox_old
and then started Firefox again now using 10.02 (firefox not buntu!). There is a PPA from mozilla called firefox stable, if this is the fix then I will upgrade Firefox using the PPA.

Can anyone shed any light as to why the Firefox in the standard repo's could cause this?

Has it happened to anyone else?

Good job I am not new to Ubuntu as this would have put me off an otherwise great distro!

Fingers crossed,

Pete