On Sun, 2012-03-11 at 07:42 +0000, James Morrissey wrote:
> Ok, that's good to know. It is a bit frustrating if high temperatures
> break the fan...

> On 10 March 2012 20:00, Neil Greenwood <neil.greenwood....@gmail.com> wrote:
> > It is very possible that temperature is the problem. It's not a bug though,
> > it's a hardware issue.
> >
> > Neil.
James,

Your cooling may not be broken, it may be that the heat exchanger matrix
on your CPU is blocked with dust and fluff from your home furnishings. A
quick check would be to use your vacuum clearer to clean the heat
exchanger by sucking 'the wrong way' through the matrix. I regularly
have to clean the matrix on my home desktop PC. My understanding is that
a machine with a hot CPU will reduce the operating frequency of the CPU
to reduce the heat generated. This will impact on the available
performance of the CPU and may be source of the reports of your CPU
using 100% of its available performance to do basic operations, because
its maximum available performance is greatly reduced.

Barry T