On 11/03/12 12:44, Alan Pope wrote:
> Lets suppose you're in a relaxed location, your home or business
> maybe, and a distant family member, friend or co-worker (someone you
> know but not very well) says "Hey, what's that on your computer?".
>
> Assume you only have a short while to demo Ubuntu to them - maybe 5 to
> 10 minutes - you don't want to spend all day boring them and you don't
> want to eat up your/their family/work time.
>
> Leaving aside the explanation of what Free Software is, and what the
> Ubuntu project does, but focussing for now on "What it does and how
> it's a cool, useful, productive tool", what would you show them? I am
> of course assuming Ubuntu and Unity here :)
>
> Here's a few things I'd consider showing them.
>
> * Dash/Launcher - showing how I search for and start apps, and how I
> switch between applications and files
> * Default apps - show that it comes with office, IM, graphics, CD/DVD
> burner, email etc pre-installed
> * Software centre - how I can find apps, read reviews and install new
> stuff
>
> What about you? What would you show and tell?
>
> Cheers,

I'd think I'd just show them how easy it is to get stuff done on it :-)
I'm not convinced I'd show them things like IM/CD burner, more likely to
show them that facebook works smoothly in Firefox/Chrome!

I don't think I'd show them the Software Centre, chiefly because on my
netbook it runs like an absolute dog, and wouldn't be a good advert to them.