On 15/03/12 19:21, Liam Proven wrote:
On 15 March 2012 19:12, Alan Bell<alan.b...@libertus.co.uk>  wrote:
On 15/03/12 18:56, Liam Proven wrote:
Is it possible to write an applet that runs just as an icon in the
Launcher and whose UI just consists of context menus?

kind of, this would be just a .desktop file with a list of commands to run
for each quicklist
http://mhall119.com/2012/02/contributing-to-unity-for-non-developers-quicklists/
What I had in mind was an applet which, on a left click, displayed a
hierarchical applications menu, picking it up from the categories that
are still present and buried in Ubuntu somewhere.

In other words, what you get if on Mac OS X you drag the Applications
folder to the Dock: basically, a Start menu replacement. For all those
who hate the Unity dash - and I am not fond of it myself - it would
replace the lost functionality of the GNOME 2 panel menus.

oh, interesting. Sadly it won't work as the quicklists do not permit a hierarchical menu structure (yes, I tried)

One thing I can do with the quicklists api stuff is add quicklists for all the windows of an application. That means you can find and raise the one window you want from the set of windows of an application type without all the others rising to the top. This also stops you wanting to stab your monitor quite so frequently. If you want to try it out the code is here:
http://people.ubuntu.com/~alanbell/quicklists.py
and I have a badly made package of it here:
http://people.ubuntu.com/~alanbell/unity-window-quicklists.deb

I think the way to fix the unity dash is to just fix the applications lens so it uses the categories as categories like this http://people.ubuntu.com/~alanbell/applicationslens.png

Alan.

--
The Open Learning Centre is rebranding, find out about our new name and look at
http://libertus.co.uk