On 01/05/12 15:29, Alan Lord (News) wrote:
On 01/05/12 14:38, Tyler J. Wagner wrote:

 However, you can create a launcher in ~.local/share/applications, give it
 an icon, and execute the launcher in nautilus. Then once it is running,
 right-click on the launcher icon and "Lock to Launcher". After that Unity
 seems to index ~/.local/share/applications (or at least that one application).

Thanks Tyler,

I had already created some desktop files, one for Talend&  one for
eclipse (the deb packaged eclipse won't allow certain updates so I just
run a clean one from my ~/bin) but hadn't realised that starting it from
nautilus was the trick.

I appreciate it. I now have a launcher icon for Talend which seems to
start it ok.

However, I then minimised my app and the little arrow disappeared from
my Talend launcher icon and clicking on it it tries to start a new
instance of the app.

This *really* shouldn't be so hard!

I created a launch icon on the desktop yesterday and there were a bunch of ways to do this I discovered, some very esoteric. I chose an easy way (for me).

my forums question and thread:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11894085&postcount=1
which I had used the nice suggestions  in:
http://askubuntu.com/a/128284
(As you might see i had a supplementary need to run my script inside a terminal, wwhich I did find how to do)

Edit the file with Gedit and add the following lines:
[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Save the file and THEN rename it to whatever you want *but* at the end of the name add .desktop, For example if wanted to make a shortcut for a wine program like photoshop I would put as a name photoshop.desktop Now you should be able to right click the file and edit the file Launcher Properties, in my case I added the command to run my script in a terminal (etc etc)

At this stage it is possible now to drag the icon, now a launcher icon, into the main Launcher at the left hand side, if wished. Mine goes in as Un-named, needs more work but I do not want mine in the launcher just yet anyway
hth

--
alan cocks