On 01/05/12 00:10, David Smith wrote:
At the risk of someone having had a similar problem, I'm struggling
to install Ubuntu on my desktop.  My netbook accepted Xubuntu
absolutely fine, and I am getting to grips it.  My desktop however
won't accept Ubuntu x86.

I have tried with a CDROM and unetbootin, with the live CD and with
the alternative installler.  The best I have got is for it to
install using the alternative, but not boot up -- it just hangs
indefinitely after GRUB.

Intel E7300 CPU 3GB RAM ECS GF7050VT-M5 motherboard Nvidia 1GB 550
Ti (Asus) SATA 0 is 1TB Seagate NTFS Windows 7 x64 SATA 1 is 160GB
Maxtor NTFS data (2x 80GB partitions for some reason). SATA 3 is
TSST DVDRW IDE Primary Master is EXT4 Ubuntu, Linux swap and GRUB
loader.

Bearing in mind that I could not get it to boot with a live CD, it
is unlikely to have anything to do with where GRUB is, especially
as that was how I had it under Kubuntu 11.10.

Is there any way of getting some more details, like from a verbose
screen during boot?  Or does anyone see anything in my HW
configuration that has been resolved already?

Thanks in advace,

Dave Smith Windows technician and Ubuntu afficionado.

P.S., saw a UUKML user's email address as being
something@sohcahtoa.something.  Not thought of Sohcahtoa since high
school.  Funny how it all comes back!

One facility I have begun to need to use more and more is the nomodeset option, might be worth a look?
main info:
it is needed in several machines I (or friends) have currently.
--
alan cocks