It seems that Microsoft will be shipping Win8 without the ability to
play DVDs. They justify it by citing the rise in popularity of streaming
media such as Netflix. Users who really want it will have to pay extra.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/05/04/windows_media_dvd_playback_dead/

MS tried this in the past, I think it was with MediaPlayer9, but back
then users just shrugged and installed a free option such as VLC. But
now, with Secure Boot, MS can make sure that users do not have another
option. Except for upgrading to Ubuntu of course!

I mentioned this to some of the youngsters that I work with. They were
indignant, but more intent on keeping their old windows systems rather
than trying something new. I shall keep chipping away at their resolve.

Barry