On 25/05/12 11:22, Paul Tansom wrote:
I don't have full info on this failure yet as I've not been to the machine, but
in preparation has anyone had a similar issue to this?

The only info I have at the moment is:

"Now when I switch on the computer it is not possible to use. The icons on the
lefthand side are "ghosting" with no words of pictures and there is no
mouse/pointer. Absolutely no control by keyboard either. After a short period
it decides to give a countdown and then switches itself off."

This is a clean install of 11.10 a couple of months ago that has been kept up
to date and then upgraded to 12.04 when suggested by the GUI prompt. All seemed
to go well until the reboot as far as I know.

Certainly try live sessions as a test.
If it is an older PC, keep in mind use of nomodeset (available from the live CD boot choices)

Good luck
--
alan cocks