On 2012-06-26 14:38, Mark Fraser wrote:

> On Jun 26, 2012 10:38 AM, "James Morrissey" <morrissey.jam...@gmail.com
> <mailto:morrissey.jam...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Great,
>>
>> Thanks for the help. Deleting
>> /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and restarting seemed to do
>> the trick.
>>
>> Thanks again.
>>

> Shouldn't this be made easier to sort out? Used to get something similar
> when replacing optical drives and wondering why the mount point had changed.

Deleting one file is pretty easy to sort out.

The reason that udev creates and stores these rules is because we want the
names for devices to be persistent. For instance, if you add another
Ethernet adaptor, and it just happens to be detected first by the kernel,
this prevents it from "bumping" the original adaptor and becoming eth0.

Also note that sometimes the kernel changes detection order after an
upgrade. This keeps the names the same even if you don't add hardware.

If you use network manager, it shouldn't be a problem what they are named.
But if you rely on a static config, this feature is a lifesaver.

Regards,
Tyler

--
There is no "eastern" and "western" medicine. There's "medicine" and
then there's "stuff that has not been proven to work."