On 15/10/12 15:20, Alan Bell wrote:
> Hi all,
> There is an event coming up which might be of interest to a number of
> people on the list, 3 days at Bletchley Park focused on career options
> for women in the Free and Open Source industry:
> http://www.flossie.org/?page_id=596
> The event is being run for the startlingly low price of £15 for three
> days and would be of interest to any women seeking a career in this
> fast growing sector.
>
> Anyone seeking to fill posts might want to contact the organisers to
> find out how best to proceed. Anyone of any gender looking for a job
> in the Surrey area might want to give me a shout off list :)
>
> Alan.

Thanks Alan - didn't post to this list before as was afraid it would be
off-topic. Women can book on Eventbrite, there's a link on the URL you
gave or direct to Eventbrite here:
http://www.eventbrite.co.uk/event/4474780188 - the workshops are really
amazing, we've got women from IBM and prestigious creative technology
companies, participants will be making a simple android app, getting to
grips with BASH shell and GitHub and Drupal - there's a women's tour of
the National Museum of Computing thrown in along with lunch etc and
talks from successful open source career women. Full programme here:
http://www.flossie.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/course_outline_and_plan_LIVE.pdf

There seems to be a bit of a problem recruiting people with decent open
source skills so we're trying to do something about that as well as
supporting women to take the plunge and start coding. We're piloting a
short taster course with women as Flossie - if it goes well, we'll talk
to some of the Universities we already work with about developing a
regular summer school - we'll run some for women-only (confidence
building) as Flossie and some for mixed participants as Floss Talent
(which has the OSC as a partner).

Happy to give more info - email i...@flossie.org  :)

When we develop the longer summer school, it'd be good to include
something about how to get started contributing to Ubuntu specifically
so we can talk when the time comes?

Fossbox has lost our free space, by the way, which kiboshes our Ubuntu
sessions for the time being. We're looking at finding an alternative
host for them though.

We're also toying with the idea of adding a women's Ubuntu session - but
not sure if there'd be enough interest to make it worthwhile - so hands
up if you'd like one ;)

Paula