I find I am unable to run the bt speedtester [1] on ubuntu 12.10 in
Firefox or Chromium.  It says "We have detected that Java is not
installed or enabled on your device.To use the diagnostic tests on
this Performance Tester Java must be installed on your device and
enabled in the browser".  I believe that I have got (a) java
installed.  update-java-alternatives -l shows
java-1.6.0-openjdk-i386 1061 /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-openjdk-i386

The Beta tester linked to from that page (which uses flash I think)
works ok but it does not show the current BT profile speed which is
what I am trying to find and I believe is shown in the java test.

I can't see anywhere in the browsers to enable java.  Can anyone offer
suggestions?

Colin

[1] http://www.speedtester.bt.com/