Re: ubuntu-uk Digest, Vol 91, Issue 19:
   2.  Problem on upgrade to 12.10 with one usb disc (allen williams)
   3. Re:  Problem on upgrade to 12.10 with one usb disc (Colin Law)
   5. Re:  Problem on upgrade to 12.10 with one usb disc
      (=?utf-8?B?YW50b25rMjAxMTdAZ21haWwuY29t?=)

Message: 2

Help please!

After upgrade from 12.04, switching on or attempting to mount one of my
usb hard drives gives this error message -.

Error mounting system-managed device /dev/sdg1: Command-line `mount
"/mnt/usb-ST350041_8AS_60CAFFFFFFFF-0:0-part1"' exited with non-zero exit
status 32: mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdg1,
            dmesg | tail  or so

dmesg | tail gives (inter alia):

[ 1080.727830]  sdg: sdg1
[ 1080.732003] sd 8:0:0:0: [sdg] Attached SCSI disk
[ 1081.383633] FAT-fs (sdg1): Unrecognized mount option "x-gvfs-show" or
missing value
[ 1871.160973]  sdg: sdg1

The disc is seen by the new system as a "place" but clearly
does not like it, even though 12.04 used it perfectly
happily, as does 12.10 my other usb disc. I'm technically incompetent and
can't find anything to help with this difficulty, so any pointers are most
welcome.

Allen Williams

#
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
# /dev/sda8
UUID=6a062fdd-e7a2-4f37-9d23-0994e6ec6ee9 / ext3 relatime,errors=remount-ro,user_xattr 0 1
# /dev/sda9
UUID=2ea8ad99-daa5-4b44-9673-35d5c2c984e1 none swap sw 0 0 /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0 /dev/disk/by-id/usb-ST350041_8AS_60CAFFFFFFFF-0:0-part1 /mnt/usb-ST350041_8AS_60CAFFFFFFFF-0:0-part1 auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0

fstab.bak is, by contrast:

#
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
# /dev/sda8
UUID=6a062fdd-e7a2-4f37-9d23-0994e6ec6ee9 / ext3 relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1
# /dev/sda9
UUID=2ea8ad99-daa5-4b44-9673-35d5c2c984e1 none swap sw 0 0 /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0

I am a technical ignoramus, but the contrast between the two is startling, even to me! The .bak file was originally generated on Thu 02 Jun 2011, so why the upgrade should have generated the new file (particularly the last line) is beyond me. The inclusion in the new file of this line /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0 also seemed suspicious, so I tried replacing the dvd in the drive and, indeed, there are hitherto unnoticed problems there, too, in that the disc name does not alter in Nautilus, and the contents of the substituted disc are not accessible to Nautilus (cited by "Properties" as "nothing").

At Colin's suggestion, I created and tried running the system from a "live" DVD (upgrade from 12.04 was via updated manager). No problems in that the "rogue" usb drive is correctly identified, mounted and is accessible to the live disc user.

I have checked the bug whose link was provided and although I cannot pretend to understand fully the report and responses, there does indeed seem to be substantial commonality. However, that report seemed to be concerned with duplication of links to drives (logos), rather than my problem. Interestingly, the two usb hard discs did appear twice each in Nautilus in my system BEFORE upgrading to 12.10. They were distinguished by the addition of a "_" after the disc name in each case. For example, the one named "My Book" appeared as that, and also as "My Book_". Although odd, this was perfectly liveable, since the latter reliably worked while the former did not work at all.

Further information: I have also had help from a self-confessed geek in Australia. The system at present creates a folder on starting, /mnt/usb-ST350041_8AS_60CAFFFFFFFF-0:0-part1 , which is empty. My advice was to run: sudo mount /dev/sdd1 /mnt -t vfat -o ro . This replaces the folder with the contents of the usb drive at /mnt. He thinks the usb file system is corrupt, but all the above suggests to me it is not. On a fresh boot, the system now pauses, giving a message saying it is waiting for the drive with /mnt/usb-ST350041_8AS_60CAFFFFFFFF-0:0-part1. This has to be skipped to continue, producing the situation as described.

I hope this enables a genius out there to give me simple instructions how to put this right!

Allen Williams