Thanks George

Openshot seems easy to use, I can use the Resize tool to drag the still
images along the time line to match the sound track. I'm exporting a
stupid test video as a dvd video in PAL &c with a sound track. I get an
exported file with the .dvd file extension.

Everyone

What do I use to burn this to a DVD disk? Brasero has been sitting at
the 'converting video to MPEG2' phase for some 10 minutes now... The DVD
burner works as I make ISOs on DVD discs...

cheers