If I might return to this issue I have with activating wireless on the
Compaq, I believe I have located the correct network driver and installed
it, but I'm still seeing no wireless option beneath the fan symbol in the
notifications bar. What I need to do is investigate from the terminal,
check that the driver is present, attempt to activate it, and identify any
rival, dysfunctional drivers that may be there unknown to me and still need
blacklisting. If anyone feels like walking me through the code for all
this, I hall be much obliged.