On 15/02/13 17:31, Rowan Berkeley wrote:
On 15/02/13 16:44, Alan Pope wrote:
On 15/02/13 13:50, Rowan Berkeley wrote:
"Windows 7 won't solve the problem, because it won't give you access to
UEFI.

What does that mean? UEFI is something which Windows 7, Windows 8,
64-bit Ubuntu, Fedora and probably other Linux distros support. It's
baked into the machine just like the BIOS used to be.

 > Windows 8 is not just software;

That's exactly what Windows 8 is, software. UEFI is not part of Windows,
if it were, what would it be doing on a 3 year old Apple MacBook Pro I
have?

it is also the PROM chips that
contain the start-up sequence, which is UEFI. You are stuck with those
PROM chips permanently, so I think you will have to go for dual boot
rather than replacing Windows 8 with Ubuntu, otherwise you'll never be
able to get to the start-up settings, which are in UEFI and are only
accessible from inside Windows 8. That's the way they've designed it.

No. Windows 8 has a utility which makes it easy for you to get to the
UEFI settings, but that doesn't mean you can't get to them via other means.

Therefore, you must:
(1) Reinstall Windows 8, and you shouldn't have to pay for this. There
should be a disk or stick or even an online package to reinstall Windows
8, where you just type in your license key number.
(2) Learn how to access UEFI from inside Windows 8, following these
instructions:
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-access-the-bios-on-a-windows-8-computer/

Or just install Ubuntu 12.04.2 or 12.10 64-bit and don't install Windows
at all as per:-

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

Noting specifically this section:-

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI#SecureBoot

Thanks for all that, Alan. So, concretely, let's take for instance the Compaq machine which I successfully converted from Windows 8 to Ubuntu 12.10 using a USB stick. Given that F2 no longer works, and that the Windows 8 machinery for getting into UEFI us no longer there, how in fact would I get into UEFI on that machine if for some reason I needed to? The answer is, install Boot-Repair from repositories:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

I don't understand this whole 'F2 no longer works' thing. Bios was accessed through a wide array of keys depending on who made the machine. Del, CTRL+S, F1, F2, CTRL+ESC and the list goes on. Surely UEFI is accessed in exactly the same manner isn't it?