On 03/04/13 07:01, andres wrote:
My question is: how do i get the installer to ask us to install ubuntu side
by side as it used to?

Confirm that there are only 3 partitions (or less) existing - you need two new partitions for Ubuntu (system and swap). You would maybe expect to create an extended partition as a fourth primary partition, and add the two ubuntu partitions inside that as logical partitions, of suitable size. If ther aer already 4 primary partitions you cannot add more partitions (for Ubuntu for example). A few occasions I found when the installer did not proceed included when there were errors in the windows file system which were previously not noticed. From windows, I did a chkdsk.

As a routine:
- a good backup first, and one you can be confident in (you may have to use it!!) - With ubuntu live session confirm that the various aspects work in the hardware - display, audio, camera, wireless, etc - with Ubuntu live session, check the hard drive is ok use 'disk utility', there should be no errors at all

good luck

--
alan cocks